- 1 ½ cups shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Step 1Melt the shortening in a large pan on the stove, and cool.
- Step 2Add sugar, eggs, and molasses, beat well.
- Step 3In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together and add to the pan. Mix well and chill 3 hours or overnight.
- Step 4Form into walnut-size balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Step 5Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes.
- Step 6Store in an airtight container to keep from getting overly crisp. If they do lose their softness, an easy way to restore it is to place one slice of fresh bread in the container with the cookies for a couple of hours or overnight and they will be soft again