- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mild vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or mild vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a cast-iron skillet with oil and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, stir the baking soda into the buttermilk. Whisk in the sugar, egg, and the 1/4 cup oil.
- Put the prepared skillet over medium heat, add the butter, and heat until the butter melts and is just starting to sizzle. Tilt the pan to cover the sides and bottom.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine them quickly, using as few strokes as possible. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cornbread until it is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool for a few moments, and slice into wedges to serve.
Dragonwagon, Crescent. The Cornbread Gospels., p. 12
This is an amazing cornbread! It’s rich and very good.