- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, preferably measured into a 4-cup measure
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with oil, add the butter, and put it into the oven to melt. Meanwhile, stir together the cornmeal, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, or in the 4-cup measuring cup, beat the buttermilk with the eggs and oil.
- Combine the two mixtures. As always, be careful not to overbeat, stirring until wet and dry are just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and bake the cornbread until it is golden brown and crusty at the edges, 23-27 minutes. Serve cut into wedges.
Dragonwagon, Crescent. The Cornbread Gospels. p18.
Wow! This is a basic, really nice cornbread.