Palta is the Chilean word for avocado. The Chilean avocados are smaller than the California avocados. However, the California avocado works just as well.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Crackers for serving
- Peel the avocado and, in a glass or ceramic container, mash with a fork.
- Quickly add the lemon juice to avoid browning.
- Season with pepper, oil and salt to taste.
- The result should be a little lumpy.
- Prepare this dish just before dinner (so the avocado doesn’t turn dark). Serve immediately with crackers.