Our family chili
- 1-2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large or 2 small cans bush’s chili beans (mild or medium) (optional)
- 1 large or 2 small cans tomato sauce OR 1 large can diced tomatoes and 1 small can sauce (any combination really)
- chili powder, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- onion power or freshly chopped onion, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Cook the ground beef. Drain if necessary.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder or onion, and black pepper. Stir well.
- I generally add a little less than a tablespoon of chili powder and cumin, a light sprinkle of oregano, and about a teaspoon of onion powder. I also add a good sprinkling of pepper. I do not add salt until the end as the beans and tomato products are salty.
- Add the beans and tomato products. Stir well.
- Taste. Adjust seasonings as necessary. You may need more chili powder and cumin.
- If the chili is too sweet (often from using only tomato sauce), add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Add a little beef stock if desired.
- A little cayenne is always good.
- A friend in college used to add a little smooth peanut butter. I do not do this but it’s not awful.