Source: Steinman & Kita. Guy Gourmet.
- 2 pounds pork butt cut into 1.5 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon lard or vegetable oil
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 orange, unpeeled and cut into 2 pieces
- 1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon table salt or 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Combine all ingredients into a 4 or 5 quart heavy pot; don't worry if the pork isn't completely covered. Bring to a boil and skim as necessary. Then simmer rapidly over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender and the liquid has evaporated about 1.5 hours. Discard the orange and the bay leaves.
- Continue to cook the pork in the fat left in the pan, stirring frequently, until it's golden brown, 10-15 minutes more.
We love this! I've used pork steaks with great success.