Applesauce Oat Bran Muffins
- 3/4 cup diced dried fruit
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups oat bran
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cover dried fruit with hot water, and stir in cinnamon. Let steep until dried fruit is plump and rehydrated. Drain liquid and set aside.
- Mix together oat bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together egg whites, applesauce, sugar, butter- or yogurt, oil and drained fruit.
- Add to dry ingredients, and stir just blend.
- Fill 12 greased muffin Cups, and bake at 375 degrees 20 minutes. These freeze well.