Prep time: 30 minutes
This is the most common summer salad served in Chile. it is often called Ensalada Chilena (Chilean Salad).
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ﬁnely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove them from the boiling water and immediately immerse them in cold water; then peel them. Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices, and place them in a glass or ceramic serving plate.
Wash the onion slices first in hot water and then in cold water; dry and place them over the tomato slices.
Drizzle the oil and lemon juice and sprinkle the herbs, salt, and pepper over the salad. If the tomatoes are too tart, eliminate the lemon juice.
Marinate the salad for 15 minutes and serve at room temperature.