This does not include potatoes as they tend to break down; could be served with mashed potatoes or garlic-roasted new potatoes.
- 8 slices backon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 pounds chuck or round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups dry red wine (preferably Burgundy)
- 2 teaspoons beef fouillon granules
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 whole onion, sliced in half
- bouquet garni (2 bay leaves, 4 parsley sprigs, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried marjoram in cheesecloth)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cook the bacon in a large stockpot or ducth oven until crisp and set aside.
- Brown the meat in bacon drippings.
- Add wine, bouillon granules, garlic, onion, and bouquet garni.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender..
- Remove bouquet garni.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and saute mushrooms and pearl onions until tender. Blend in flour.
- Transfer the mushrooms and pearl onions into the Beef Bourguignon.
- Add bacon.
- Blend together and continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- This was very good! Very Rich.
- I substituted white wine for the Burgundy.
- I let the flour cook (with the mushrooms and onions) for a few moments before adding to the Beef Bourguignon