Source : jayne-rain.com
- 1 medium red onion
- 300 g red cherry tomatoes (or 2 to 3 large tomatoes)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chili (optional)
for preparing the onion
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 200 ml water
- Add 1 tsp of sea salt in a bowl with 200 ml of water, mix till dissolved and set aside.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the onion. Place the onion in the bowl of salty water and massage for 30 seconds and then allow soak for about 5 minute. This process will help in the reduction of the pungent onion flavor.
- Drain the onions thoroughly and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Finely dice the tomatoes, the cilantro and avocado. Add them to the onions.
- Using plastic gloves deseed the chili and chop finely.
- Add the chili to the rest of the vegetables
- Finish by adding the ½ tsp salt (or salt to taste), olive oil and the lime juice.
- Mix well and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Serve kachumbari with pilau rice or any other dish of choice.