- 1 sack of O’Brien potatoes (with peppers and onions), completely thawed
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (approximately – I used a little less – whatever I had on hand)
- 1 pound sausage, browned and drained (or ham or bacon or a mix)
- 8 – 12 eggs ( I used eight for us on Sunday)
- ½ – 1 cup milk (approximately)
- Dash of salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Squeeze the excess liquid out of the hash browns. Spray a 9×13 pan. I think that metal ones make the casserole crispier. Press the hash browns into the pan. Pour the melted butter on top. Cover these hash browns with cheese. I think the combination of metal pan, drained hash browns, butter, and the cheese “seal” between the hash browns and eggs make the “crispy” crust.
Mix the sausage, eggs, milk, and salt. Pour over the cheese layer. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 – 35 minutes. In some of the recipes that I ready, they layer the sausage over the cheese and then cover with the eggs. I think whichever is easier/faster would be fine.