While in Tampa for work, I enjoyed a nice evening at Columbia Cafe. I especially enjoyed their Cuban Bean Soup. This is my recreation of that soup. This is a modification of Spanish Bean Soup, from tasteofcuba.com.
I often use a frozen package of chopped onions, peppers, and celery rather than the fresh ingredients.
Original recipe: http://www.tasteofcuba.com/spanishbeansoup.html
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6-7 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 5 to 6 medium russet potatoes, cubed (about 1 1/2 inches)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 quarts or so of chicken stock or water
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ham steak, cubed
- 1 package sausage